top of page
Knowing the right resource is crucial... 

VA Benefits


Aid & Attendance and Housebound

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension.

Since Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances increase the pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension at these increased rates. A Veteran or surviving spouse may not receive Aid and Attendance benefits and Housebound benefits at the same time.

Aid & Attendance

The Aid & Attendance increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:


  • You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment (Note:  issues with two activities of daily living is typically acceptable) 

  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment

  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity

  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less



This increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount when you are substantially confined to your immediate premises because of permanent disability.

How to Apply

You may apply for Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits by writing to the Pension Management Center (PMC) that serves your state. You may also visit your local regional benefit office to file your request. You can locate your local regional benefit office using the VA Facility Locator.

You should include copies of any evidence, preferably a report from an attending physician validating the need for Aid and Attendance or Housebound type care.

  • The report should be in sufficient detail to determine whether there is disease or injury producing physical or mental impairment, loss of coordination, or conditions affecting the ability to dress and undress, to feed oneself, to attend to sanitary needs, and to keep oneself ordinarily clean and presentable.

  • Whether the claim is for Aid and Attendance or Housebound, the report should indicate how well the applicant gets around, where the applicant goes, and what he or she is able to do during a typical day. In addition, it is necessary to determine whether the claimant is confined to the home or immediate premises.



2022 VA Pension Plus Aid and Attendance Rates:


Maximum Pension Benefit plus Aid & Attendance:

Surviving Spouse                      $1318
Single Veteran                           $2050
Married Veteran                        $2431
Qualifying Pension Service Dates:

World War II                                                               Dec. 7, 1941 – Dec. 31, 1946
Korea                                                                          June 27, 1950 – Jan. 31, 1955
Vietnam I  **must have served “in country”           Feb. 28, 1961 – Aug. 4, 1964
Vietnam II                                                                   Aug. 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975
Mideast Conflicts                                                      Aug. 20, 1990 – Present

Eligibility Requirements


The requirements to receive some form of Aid and Attendance are not as stringent as one might think.  A Veteran, Widowed Spouse, or Disabled Adult Child can be an applicant.

Veteran must have served at least ninety (90) consecutive days on active duty; one day of which had to have been during a War time period.  Note, this does not mean the Veteran had to have served directly in the combat zone.  It simply means he/she served during a time of War. This does not mean the Veteran had to have served directly in the combat zone. It simply means he/she served during a time of War.

Veteran must have had an “other than Dishonorable Discharge”

Claimant’s physician must declare him/her as Housebound and in need of assistance from another individual.  That individual may include Home Care Helper, Assisted Living, or Nursing Home Care. 

Claimant generally must have less than $50,000 in assets.  There is no firm asset cap with the VA.  The agency will view the asset level of the applicant and determine whether he/she has enough resources to pay for the care needed for the duration of his/her life.  The VA asset limit does not include the primary residence, car or personal belongings.  Note, certain planning techniques can be employed to drop a Veteran or surviving spouse below the resource limit.

Claimant must meet income requirements.

Widowed spouse must have been married to the Veteran at the time of the Veteran’s death or have children by the Veteran and never remarried (minor or disabled children may qualify for benefits on their own). 

Widowed spouse must have been living with the Veteran at the time of the Veteran’s death, unless the separation was due to medical or military reasons (there may be some exceptions related to separations due to abuse)

County Offices


Hamilton County Veterans Services

130 E. 9th Street

Cincinnati, Ohio 45202


Contacts: Kevin Ott, William Daniels


Butler County Veterans Services

315 High Street

Hamilton, Ohio 45011


Contacts: Mike Farmer, Casey James, Ed Snyder, Will Croxton


Warren County Veterans Services

320 E. Silver Street

Lebanon, Ohio 45036


Contacts: John Luca, Debbie Kaufman, Rick Spencer, Robert Richardson


Additional Resources


Patriot Angels

90 Volunteer Drive

Suite 120

Hendersonville, TN 37075


bottom of page